La symphonie pastorale
The book can be purchased below by paypal or just email me your order through.
Resources have been written with the needs of busy teachers in mind. They are available:
- to download (online version)
- to receive on CD with access to the online version also
- to receive as a VLE version (moodle, firefox etc) with access to the online version also
Gide's short nouvelles such as Isabelle, La porte étroite and La symphonie pastorale offer the reader timeless narratives in which the protagonists wrestle with their own angst, moral ambiguities and religious beliefs to attempt to achieve happiness.
A protestant pastor rescues blind girl Gertrude from an impoverished background and awakens her mind to language and spirituality in a remarkably short space of time.
Oblivious of the effect his relationship with the young woman is having on his wife and family, the pastor struggles increasingly with the moral decisions he has to make.
Seen through the prism of a civilisation a hundred years after this book was written and where amorality is widespread, this novel offers the basis for interesting debate on the way we lead our lives, our moral decisions and the devastating effects our own self interest can have on others.
Gide used these nouvelles to help him rationalise his own psychological and moral issues and they represent a meaningful and valuable route into the study of French literature.
Select from the drop-down menu below to choose which variant of the materials you would like to purchase.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE NO LONGER OFFER THE VERSION ON CD. WE NOW SUPPLY ONLY FOR ACCESSING THE MATERIALS FROM THE SITE OR TO PUT INTO YOUR VLE (PLEASE EMAIL SEPARATELY TO SAY WHICH SYSTEM YOU ARE USING)
If you would like to purchase through a school invoice, please go to this page.
Purchase by email: Simply email me, preferably using your school email address and I will invoice you and set you up.
- Full page by page vocabulary list (can be used on phone, tablet)
- Detailed summary of text with verbs gapped (infinitives given)
- Comprehensive questions on each chapter/scene
- PowerPoint with visuals and sentence starters (not all texts)
- Character study guide with wide range of adjectives
- Multi-tense practice tool
- A-factor builds in practice of more complex structures
- Direct-indirect speech exercise encourages reported speech
- Matching quotations to themes to prepare for paragraphing
- Essay planning guide including template
- Essay plan and sample essay
Mark schemes are provided for:
- the gapped summary
- character guide
- multi-tense exercise
- direct-indirect speech exercise
- themes exercise
Answers are NOT given for the questions which are intended to elicit an individual response.