a popular choice; relevant books for sale below
Select from the drop-down menu below to choose which variant of the materials you would like to purchase.
If you would like to purchase through a school invoice, please go to this page.
Purchase by email: Simply email me, preferably using your school email address and I will invoice you and set you up.
About the novel
Resources have been written with the needs of busy teachers in mind. They are available:
- to download (online version)
- to receive on CD with access to the online version also
- to receive as a VLE version (moodle, firefox etc) with access to the online version also
Christiane Rochefort's highly ironic and entertaining novel which appeared as the so called "Trente Glorieuses" period of rapid growth was going on, rails against the materialism fuelling this development.
The protagonist Jo, who is also the narrator, spends her early life looking after the latest new baby that the parents have brought into the world in order to benefit from the financial incentives being awarded to encourage the population to grow.
Despite enjoying her school work Jo doesn't get chance to follow this through and she becomes sexualised very young as she seeks affection from the first person to show an interest in her.
There are many amusing episodes in the book although the feeling we are left with is one of upset at seeing a young person wasting her opportunities and following inexorably in the parental footsteps.
- Full page by page vocabulary list (can be used on phone, tablet)
- Detailed summary of text with verbs gapped (infinitives given)
- Comprehensive questions on each chapter/scene
- PowerPoint with visuals and sentence starters (not all texts)
- Character study guide with wide range of adjectives
- Multi-tense practice tool
- A-factor builds in practice of more complex structures
- Direct-indirect speech exercise encourages reported speech
- Matching quotations to themes to prepare for paragraphing
- Essay planning guide including template
- Essay plan and sample essay
Mark schemes are provided for:
- the gapped summary
- character guide
- multi-tense exercise
- direct-indirect speech exercise
- themes exercise
Answers are NOT given for the questions which are intended to elicit an individual response.