one of our most popular sets of resources; relevant books and media for sale below
Select from the drop-down menu below to choose which variant of the materials you would like to purchase.
If you would like to purchase through a school invoice, please go to this page.
Purchase by email: Simply email me, preferably using your school email address and I will invoice you and set you up.
About this novella
Resources have been written with the needs of busy teachers in mind. They are available:
- to download (online version)
- to receive on CD with access to the online version also
- to receive as a VLE version (moodle, firefox etc) with access to the online version also
Written in 1942 by Jean Bruller under the pen name of Vercors just as the Germans were beginning to show themselves in their true colours in occupied France this short work was distributed clandestinely.
With a demoralised population increasingly struggling to find the necessities of life, collaboration was very prevalent; this narrative was written with the aim of encouraging the population to resist mentally and spiritually against the occupier even when he showed himself to be reasonable and rational.
The old man and his grand daughter who are treated to the world view of a young German officer who takes refuge infront of the fire demonstrates the changing state of mind of the latter as hie realizes what his associates are really up to in occupied France.
As von Ebrennac the German officer comes to the realisation that the army is there for one reason only the attitude of the young woman also changes, almost imperceptibly.
Despite the apparent lack of action Le silence de la mer has been filmed a number of times yet it is the book that is the most powerful document with its powerful poetic images and spiritual scale.
- Full page by page vocabulary list (can be used on phone, tablet)
- Detailed summary of text with verbs gapped (infinitives given)
- Comprehensive questions on each chapter/scene
- PowerPoint with visuals and sentence starters (not all texts)
- Character study guide with wide range of adjectives
- Multi-tense practice tool
- A-factor builds in practice of more complex structures
- Direct-indirect speech exercise encourages reported speech
- Matching quotations to themes to prepare for paragraphing
- Essay planning guide including template
- Essay plan and sample essay
Mark schemes are provided for:
- the gapped summary
- character guide
- multi-tense exercise
- direct-indirect speech exercise
- themes exercise
Answers are NOT given for the questions which are intended to elicit an individual response.